Monday, June 16, 2008

My Own Mardi Gras

I'm not sure how it happened but June seemed to be starting off well for me but then took an evil turn. Nate and I celebrated our second anniversary on the third by going out to dinner at this nice restaurant next to the Bitburg brewery. We had a lovely meal with a huge fruit bowl for dessert while my mom watched Reese back at home for us. The next day I had my follow up appointment with Dr.Jerono where he said that everything looked good but if I got a fever I was to immediately come to the hospital because it was a sign of an infection. Sure enough Friday afternoon I had the chills and a fever so that evening Nate and I went to the hospital assuming that I would be given some antibiotics and sent on my way. We checked in with the midwife and she said she would call the doctor and have her check me out. Two hours later I went to speak with the midwife again since we still had not been seen and she told me once again that she would call the doctor to come see me. The doctor finally came and took one look at my chest and said that I would need to be admitted into the hospital for an infection. I argued with them for a while to try and get them to just send me home with penicillin but they said I needed to be on an IV to get rid of the infection faster. So I was sent home to retrieve Reese, who would be staying in the hospital with me, and whatever things we would need for our stay. When we got back we were checked in to the maternity ward where they started me on an IV and then much to my surprise told me to feed Reese so that they could start me on the quark. I had no clue what quark was but soon found out that it was a type of German cheese similar to cream cheese that they rub on the infection to pull it out. So there I was in a hospital bed with an IV in my arm and cream cheese on my boobs, and I was not happy about it. Around 5am they came down and moved me up to "Station 11" which is a private patient floor, because there was an influx of babies and they needed the space. Luckily I got a really nice American roommate who was 34 weeks pregnant and had started to go into premature labor so she was on bedrest in the hospital for the weekend while they kept an eye on her. She got quite a kick out of my cheesy situation and made sure to mock me whenever they brought the quark in, which mind you was about 6 times a day. That's why this post is labeled "My Own Mardi Gras" because if it had been the real Mardi Gras I would have had beads galore for all the times I had to show my chest to various hospital employees. Luckily, the quark and the penicillin worked and I left the hospital Monday evening with my bottle of penicillin to finish off and a story about Mastitis that could only happen to me.

1 comment:

Kami Alkire Photography said...

Sounds like quite the weekend. Can't say that I'm to jealous of that one. Glad you were able to get over it quickly, maybe they should try that cheese over here. My sister dealt with mastitis for well over a week.