Friday, January 28, 2011

The States Part Two: A Wedding Story

We got back from San Diego early Tuesday morning and at 9pm Wednesday night we loaded back in the car and headed to Utah for Nate’s sister’s wedding.  For those of you who have never driven across Nevada, let alone in the middle of the night, I’ll enlighten you by telling you that there is nothing…..absolutely nothing.  There’s about three cities that you look for as landmarks but other than that it’s just a great big expanse of nothingness.  Being that I was in my second trimester of pregnancy and drinking water non stop to keep myself awake, the lack of places across Nevada posed a bit of a dilemma for my bladder, lucky for me I’m not a proud woman so I popped a squat at any exit I felt like from Reno to Salt Lake City.  It was upon my third or fourth stop when Nate asked why I didn’t just look for a rest stop and I explained to him that A. who knows when we would find a rest stop and B. rest stops are scary, especially at night, if we had found a rest stop I would’ve had to make Nate come in with me so that we could make sure there were no serial rapist murderers in there just waiting for a pregnant woman to appear which would’ve meant getting Reese out of the car as well, my way was just so much faster.  Since we had decided to drive through the night, Nate’s aunt had said that we could crash at her place when we got in to town.  It was so nice to be able to pull up to a house and go inside and sleep after that long drive.  When we finally decided to pry ourselves away from her comfy couches we headed up to Bountiful where the wedding was and checked into our hotel for another nap while we waited for the rest of his family to arrive. 

So I typed that up about a week ago and then got mentally stuck and even as I revisit it now I’m at a loss for words so I’ve just decided to let the photos tell the rest of the story.

The wedding was on Friday and it was a very windy day in Bountiful, this picture was taken of us outside the temple and I’m surprised that we don’t look as wind blown as I would’ve imagined.

1

DSC_2246

After the wedding there was a luncheon at a nice place in Bountiful, Reese had fun playing with her cousins and I enjoyed getting to see people from Nate’s family that I hadn’t seen since our own wedding.

100_1456

100_1478b

100_1484

After the luncheon we headed up to Idaho Falls to spend the week with Nate’s family.  It ended up being a pretty cold week with a lot of snow, but Reese loved getting to play in the snow.

DSC_0637

DSC_0652

She was constantly wanting to play in the snow and luckily Nate’s sister loaned us a pair of snow pants for her.  And luckily for me I had the whole pregnancy excuse to keep me on the porch taking photos while Nate acted as her sled dog.  We got to have a lot of fun with Nate’s family and we enjoyed getting to know Molly’s new husband Chris.  One night we made gingerbread houses which I had never done before but we had fun with.  Ours ended up collapsing but we just labeled it our Hurricane Katrina house and it probably made the activity even more fun.

DSC_0663

The Saturday after Thanksgiving was Molly’s and Chris’s wedding reception in Idaho Falls.

DSC_4660

 DSC_4671

Afterwards it was time for us to make the long journey back to Sacramento.  It’s usually an 11 hour drive, but thanks to a massive snow storm that kept Nate driving 35mph the majority of the time, it took us 16 hours to get home.  There were points where we couldn’t see the road and at one point we were supposed to chain up but when Nate went to put our chains on we realized we’d bought the wrong ones and since it was 4am and we were in the middle of nowhere we just flipped it in to 4wd and continued on our way. 

No comments: