Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Christmas Nightmare

I had been looking for a Christmas dress for Reese for a little while now and kept coming up empty handed. I checked the selections at both Ramstein and Vogelweh when I was there and all the ones in her size were ugly and if I saw one that I did like it was way too big. A few weekends ago I almost broke down and bought one at the BX just because I knew that if I didn't send the fam a picture of her in a traditional little Christmas dress my mom would ask why I hadn't gotten one, you know you would have mom, but after I had carried the dress around the store I just couldn't go through with it so I hung it in all its hideous glory back on the rack. (I'd like to insert an apology here to anyone who might have seen these dresses and thought they were gorgeous).
Since we were still dressless this weekend we headed over to Trier to give the German stores a try, which is where my Christmas nightmare truly comes in. I don't know why I wasn't thinking that the walkplatz and the mall would be a nightmare of German crowds, but I was just imagining a regular amount of people. There was only one parking garage that still had spots available when we got to Trier at 10am and from the time we first saw the sign advertising 122 available slots til we finally pulled up to the lot, the sign read 60 slots. There were soooooo many people there for the Christmas market, and apparently to do their Christmas shopping, that we could barely manage to get from one area of the walkplatz to another, not to mention my Christmas cheer was going out the window as store after store there was not a single dress, let alone holiday dress in the baby section. I seriously wonder where Germans buy baby clothes because all I saw in up to roughly an 18 month size were pajama like outfits, but whatever.
We decided to take a break from the madness to get some lunch and all we were looking for was a place slightly off the walkplatz where we could all sit down and not be bombarded by people for a few minutes. Instead we found all that we were looking for and more in a place called Lousiana just behind the main area of the walkplatz. It's the German version of a stereotypical American restaurant and we LOVED it. The word big is everywhere, "Big American Buffet Breakfast" and "Classic BIG Burger" we were cracking up. Our favorite phrase was "Traditional Big American Apple Strudel" we didn't realize there was any such thing but it looked delicious. We both got amazing, and true to the advertisement, big burgers with super yummy cajun fries, not to mention BIG colas with ice which doesn't often happen in Europe.
Our escape into the American stereotype energized us to get back out and get to task, so we hit up the mall where we found an H&M kids and a dress that while not the traditional christmas dress you would imagine picking up at JcPenneys, will still serve our needs and is quite cute. I'm still looking for some accessories for it as attempts to find a little black headband or bow for her hair were fruitless as was my attempt to locate a black shrug or sweater to go over the dress, but I will not be deterred. We're headed to bitburg to look for anything that will work. Needless to say when we got home after that amazingly long day, we decided to lock ourselves in our house where no one could enter the "BIG American zone of personal space" that I like to maintain.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Well, Jess and Nate! I regularly visit your blog but never really think of leaving a message ~ until now! Reese is soooooo cute and growing so fast ~ just as Rachel is here in California! it's been such a blessing to have her and Amber here! We were all looking forward to seeing you and Reese but we understand to mentality of the armed forces.....no disrespect intenede....take care and keep posting those GREAT pictures of the Crandalls!
Love, Sue (more commonly known as 'Sharon')
and yes, i am aware that i most likely spelled your beautiful daughters name wrong so please forgive me!

Adventures in Petersonland said...

gah! we're going to trier this saturday (i wanted to go sometime this week during the day, but steve wasnt able to get work off) and i KNOW its going to be just as bad or even worse! and germans have no idea what personal space is!
where the heck is this "lousiana" resturant by? and they have an h&m kids in the indoor mall now?! HOORAY! i love their stuff. i went looking for that store back in september, but i guess they just opened it.
and hey, i can totally make you a black hair clippie if you want me to. i have a buttload of ribbon! i'll send you a link as to what they look like. if its something youre looking for, i would love to make you one!
people in the states have no idea how lucky they are when it comes to options!

Mark and Amber Kincher said...

I am with you on this one! Rachel is not wearing a dress for Christmas. We got her a cute little red onesie she'll be wearing with jeans that has snowmen on it and says My 1st Christmas!! I'm not wearing a dress, why should she have to?? Miss you guys!