Monday, February 2, 2009

Prepare? We don't need to prepare!

I'm beginning to realize that Nate is leaving for Iraq in the near future, okay the very near future, and we've yet to get things ready. It's funny how my outlook has changed between the first deployment and the second. The first go around I talked to tons of people to find out what he should take, I made lists upon lists to make sure nothing was forgotten, I packed and repacked his bags to try and fit everything in the most efficient manner, and of course I had his bags packed and ready to go a few weeks out. This time things are different, a lot different. Nate just got his uniforms on Friday and I haven't given any thought to taking them to alterations and getting his stripes and nametapes sewn on, I figure he already has two ready to go and I'll just take these in whenever I get a chance and send them to him once he's there. I haven't pulled his trunks of deployment stuff up to go through, or gone to the store and picked up the list of toiletries he's supposed to take. I guess that's the difference between the first time and the subsequent times, this time there isn't as much to worry about. I know when he'll leave and I can guess when he'll be back, based on the completely inefficient travel schedule the military likes to operate on, and I know that he'll just be doing his day to day stuff only with mortar flying around. All in all there isn't too much unexpected about this deployment and there's quite a bit of peace in that, at least for me. Now the thing I am scared about, hmmmmm, those days when I can't wait for Nate to get home from work because I can't even go to the bathroom without Reese getting into things, scary.

1 comment:

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

How long does he have to be gone for? It is a very tough thing to be gone. It takes special people to make it through. I wish you guys the best. Trent